3.27.2008


Today I bring to you a book that has absolutely changed how I shop, prepare, and consume food. Barabara Kingsolver is an amazing author, as I'm sure many of you know from the epic novel Poisonwood Bible and many of her other novels and essays. This book is no exception. I cried, laughed out loud, cheered, and was incredibly moved by her family's journey. I was left inspired and uplifted by her example and sweet story, instead of defeated and helpless as I usually feel when I read other books that tackle topics such as factory farming, oil, subsidized farming and agribusiness.

You will fall in love with Lily's Lovely Layers and feel the heartbreak of organic tomato farmers. You might actually pee your pants when you learn everything you'll ever need to know about turkey sex.
This is a lovely, lovely book and I hope that you have the opportunity to enjoy it as much as I have!

Barbara and her family also have a website that has every single delicious family recipe plus photos of their farm during the different seasons. It also has links to finding local farms for those of us that are lacking a yard and garden plot.





No comments: