3.10.2008


Today I'm super excited to share with you something that is near and dear to my heart: The Anthology of American Folk Music.



This is a collection of 85 American Folk recordings between 1927 and 1932 compiled by Harry Smith, and it is brilliant. I almost cried when my in-laws gave it to me for Christmas two years ago and I have enjoyed it immensely since. It features Leadbelly, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Lemon Jefferson and many others. It was the foundation for the great Folk music revival of the 50's and 60's and was the reason Bob Dylan started playing the acoustic guitar and influenced much of his early work. And you know what I say, if it's good enough for Bob Dylan, it's good enough for me!

1 comment:

Aaron Gundy said...

Haha, I like the sweet cassette tape banner! That disc you got sounds pretty rad - In Bob we trust. Looking forward to see what tunes you come up with every tuesday:)