8.02.2010

homemade pizza




Every Friday night, our family has homemade pizza; it's a comforting tradition, and a kind of celebration to kick off the (hopefully) lazy + productive weekend. We like to try new + different combinations,with varying degrees of success, but we usually return to our tried and true recipes.

Here are a few that we have been loving lately:

Pear Pizza with Rosemary, Blue Cheese, and Caramelized Onions
I know what you are thinking, "pears on pizza?!?! and with onions?!where is the sauce?!?!" Just put those questions + worries behind you, dearies. If you use fresh rosemary, high quality blue cheese, + really, really caramelize your onions, you can't go wrong. Pinkie swear.

Roasted Corn Pizza with Mushrooms, Leeks, Smoked Gouda, and a bit of Bacon
This one takes a bit of time to prepare the toppings, but it is well worth it in the end. Roasting the corn would be great, but I just saute the kernels in bit of butter + salt until the sugars caramelize and they begin to brown, set aside. Slice leeks + mushrooms and saute in butter, salt + pepper until brown, adding white wine or cooking wine to deglaze the pan right at the end, set aside. Cook up some bacon + sprinkle on top with your smoked gouda. Now cry tears of happiness + joy as you gobble up 2 whole pizzas in 15 minutes. You're welcome.

As for pizza dough, I have been using Stephanie's quick + excellent recipe, but I really love this one from Bon Appetit. The overnight + makes 8 pizzas aspects of this recipe make it a little difficult to work into our routine, but makes it perfect for fun dinner parties + the woman who can remember to start things the night before (sigh).

Photo via the brilliant and new-to-me blog, K.I.D. Collective. Go check it out, Casey has such a great space. How was your weekend? Ours was good + long + hot. Perfect weather for finding out (much to my astonishment) that I can still do cartwheels. TRY IT. It sounds crazy, impossible, and a little bit hurty, but just do it anyway. You'll feel awesome + bendy + 11 again. All good things in my book. Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Rosemary Blue Cheese, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms, Leeks, Smoked Gouda, AND Bacon ... excuse me? come again? are you sure you like being married? I mean, I make a pretty good living...