1.13.2012

words for your weekend + some help needed


Let's Celebrate
by Mandy Coe

the moments
where nothing happens
The moments 
that fill our lives.
Not the field bright with poppies, but
the times you walked, seeing
no leaves, no sky, only one foot 
after another.


We are sleeping
(it's not midnight and
there is no dream).
We enter a room - no one is in it.
We run a tap,
queue to buy a stamp.


These are the straw moments
that give substance
to our astonishments;

moments the homesick dream of;
the bereaved, the diagnosed.

These days I spend a lot of time thinking about this concept of the moments before; the moments before tremendous loss or some unforeseen, forever kind of change - the moments before our stories, our lives, are irreversibly altered. One moment we're living our normal, quiet lives - tucking our kids into bed, answering a phone call from a friend, cleaning up from a long, busy day, and the next moment we're staring at impossible, heartbreaking change.

In the past two months our family has experienced a lot of changes. Sela was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes the week before Christmas, and we also learned that our new baby (a girl!) will most likely be born with club feet. Our life looks and feels so very different than it did just a few short weeks ago, and we are all different people than we were in those moments before. As awful as it was to learn of Sela's diagnosis and to spend 3 days in Primary Children's Hospital, there were so many tender, sweet moments that I will never forget. Curling my pregnant body around her tiny body as we shared a hospital bed, I marveled at the strength of her spirit and the bravery and insight she showed during those early, difficult days. Given the chance to better know my daughter and see her ability to accept and do hard, hard things, is a gift - a gift I couldn't have received in any other way.

I think the greatest gift we have is knowing that Sela will live a happy, healthy, and normal life, and that our baby girl will have perfect, fully functioning feet with just a little extra attention, planning, and the right medical care. I saw many families in the time we spent at the hospital whose stories and journeys are far more difficult and lengthy than ours will ever be, fingers crossed.

I guess the reason behind sharing this with all of you is that I am looking for people to talk to about these new changes in our lives. I would love to hear or read real-life stories of babies born with club feet, and to have a chance to talk to moms who have made it through. Also, if any of you know a cute, diabetic, five year-old girl, could you send her our way? Sela is desperate for a diabetes buddy to talk and play with. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tawny said...

I have a lovely friend named Becca whose son was born with 2 club feet. He is almost 3 and you would never know. I will send her here and have her drop you a line.
I don't know any 5 year olds, but I have a really cool, Diabetic, 14 year old student who would, I bet, be a super awesome pen-pal!

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

Those are some major changes. It must feel heavy. I truly feel for you. Your words are perfect.

I agree, Primary Children's has this way of putting things in perspective, doesn't it :) I never leave feeling sorry for myself...

Candace said...

Darn it Rachel, I had no idea all this was going on. Good luck with everything. Candacde

Unknown said...

Hi this is Becca damron tawny's friend. My son was born with club feet and I would love to talk to you. My email is damron.pb@gmail.com or just give me a call. It will all be ok though! 435-201-1738! It's hard but totally fixable and it's over before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to check in on you.Life is full these days. What an opportunity to grow when you didn't even know that you needed to! Today is the 9 month mark. I had a day with Bri last week and we drove all around after an Endowment session at the temple. WE ate choc croissants at Pain de Quotidien and drank dark hot chocolate. WE window shopped at all her favorite haunts. Then I had to say goodbye and busy my life with the usual things. It felt great to be with her again.It just takes time to find a new rhythm.Beth

kaelee said...

You are a strong woman.