6.30.2008

Cleanse: Day 5,6 & 7

apple cake. s'mores. fresh tortillas. fontina. cherrios. italian cream cake. blueberry pancakes with butter pecan dressing. goldfish crackers. it all started with the goldfish crackers.

I blew it.

ABSOLUTELY. POSITIVELY. blew it.

Friday went swimmingly until it was time to go, go, go! packing, and cleaning, and dropping puppy off. where are the toothbrushes? Seven bucks for a cantaloupe?!?! my body was tired, my head fuzzy, and Sela spilled the goldfish crackers for the second time. I popped two little fishies in my mouth and my brain took a deep breath for the first time in days. As I ate slice after slice of apple cake I swore I had NEVER NEVER EVER felt so great, everyone within shouting distance heard how delighted, thrilled, and positively tickled pink I was to quit my cleanse. I was welcoming old friends with an open mouth.

Today I am starting again. Crazy, eh? Maybe. While I was on the cleanse I loved that I actually listened to my body. I was eating just enough, and it was the right stuff, too. I thought about where my food came from and every meal had a purpose, not just to stuff my face and my belly, but to nourish my family, and to do it well. Cooking felt like art, slightly restricted art, I just had to kick up my creativity a few notches.

I'm going to start a little slower, but my goal is to cut gluten and animal products from my diet 3 days a week and sugar for 5. I hope that I can continue to be aware of what I am putting in my body, how it made it to my plate, and effects it has on the environment.

Thanks for following along with me on my SUPER short journey, and I'll be sure to post more yummy recipes as I find them!

1 comment:

Joslyn said...

your post made me laugh out loud! goldfish are my "gateway" food too...especially the ones that Millie drops on the ground...and i pick up and eat.

sad.