8.04.2008

Things We Did: Powell's City of Books


This is book lover's mecca.

Powell's is the biggest used and new bookstore in the world. It takes up an entire city block and there are 122 different subject titles. Needless to say our little family spent quite a bit of time in this Portland hot spot.

The children's section is unbelievable. So many great titles that I have never heard of, tons of classics, and many of my own childhood favorites. We were able to find 2 books for Sela to help her remember her first BIG vacation.

Iggy Peck, Architect

I wanted something to signify Sela's first time in a big city, with building as high as she can see, and Iggy Peck, Architect is perfect. The illustrations, by David Roberts, are GORGEOUS. The text, by Andrea Beaty, is hilarious.
click on the pages to read the text.

Seriously, look at Iggy's groovy mom!

The second time we stopped at Powell's was the same day that we said good-bye to the ocean. I was a little heartbroken and I wanted to find something special about our time at the ocean. I had originally planned of getting Flotsam by David Weisner, but while I searching I found:

Wave
by Suzy Lee.

This is an incredibly sweet book. It perfectly captured Sela's curiosity, delight, and love as she met the ocean for the first time.



1 comment:

Andrea Beaty said...

I hope Sela enjoys Iggy Peck! Sounds like you had an amazing vacation!

All my best,

Andrea Beaty

www.andreabeaty.com
www.threesillychicks.com